Organization: The Wilmington Country Club is located in Wilmington, Delaware. It was established in 1901 and currently has approximately 2,300 individual members. The Wilmington Country Club is member-owned, and is operated solely for the benefit of its members. The Club offers a complete array of athletic, social and family activities for its membership to enjoy. Facilities include two 18-hole golf courses and related practice facilities, 21 tennis courts, 5 squash courts, 4 platform tennis courts, swimming pool complex, and fitness/wellness facilities. There are multiple dining outlets which range from very casual to traditionally elegant and all receive excellent membership support. The Club is financially healthy and enjoys an outstanding reputation for excellence on a national level. Projected revenues for 2020 will approach $17.0 million. In peak season, the Club employs approximately 320 individuals.
Position Summary: This is a hands-on position and represents an extraordinary opportunity to become a key member of the Senior Management team. The Controller/FM reports to the General Manager/COO and assumes a strategic role in the overall management of the Club. Partnering with the GM/COO, the Controller/FM helps establish financial policy and direction while being an active participant in, and driver of, the Club’s overall strategy. The Controller/FM has primary, day-to-day responsibilities for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial related activities of the Club. This includes direct responsibility for accounting, finance, IT, Inventory, payroll, benefits, forecasting, strategic planning, budgeting, legal, insurance, banking and compliance with private and institutional finance and accounting.
- Partners with the General Manager/COO on all operational and financial issues. Provides recommendations based on financial analysis and projections and revenue/expense analysis.
- Provides recommendations to enhance financial performance and business opportunities.
- Oversees long-term budgetary planning in alignment with WCC’s strategic plan
- Supports and serves as business advisor to the Finance Committee regarding issues, trends and changes in the operations of the Club.
- Oversees the budgeting process and the implementation of budgets, so as to monitor progress and present operational issues and opportunities.
- Manages cash flow and forecasting.
- Ensures that finance staff maintains financial systems in accordance with GAAP/Tax rules and monitors the use of all funds.
- Oversees the preparation and approval of all financial reporting materials, prepares and communicates monthly and annual financial statements and other periodic financial reports.
- Manages all audit activities. This includes implementing and monitoring sufficient internal controls to maintain the integrity of the Club’s assets.
- Reviews all finance, communications, and IT related procedures, processes and administration, recommending improvements to the systems in place and managing the systems going forward.
- Evaluates and manages all banking/investing/borrowing related activities.
- Evaluates and manages all insurance related activities (commercial, workers’ compensation and employee benefits).
- Oversees and assists in processing bi-weekly payroll including taxes and 401(k).
- Files all quarterly payroll taxes, processes W-2s and Forms 1095-C along with any other yearend filings.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with external expert partners including banking, legal, insurance, retirement plan, audit and tax. As appropriate, conducts due diligence bid processes for these relationships.
- Maintains a strong industry awareness and consistently works to improve industry knowledge and expertise.
- Develops and manages staff.
- Articulates a vision for the Club’s finance, IT, and communications programs that aligns with the vision for the Club as a whole.
- Models core values, including a commitment to learning and a willingness to take risks while seeking opportunities to change, grow and improve. Inspires a shared vision, fosters collaboration and recognizes the contributions of others.
- Guides and develops staff to become exceptional leaders within the Club.
- Influences and provides guidance to other departmental teams outside of direct span of control.
- Provides guidance on attracting and developing key Club team members.
Qualifications: Competitive candidates should be mature, experienced and progressive leaders with a bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance. They should possess at least 10 years of accounting experience (hospitality industry preferred) with 5 years supervisory experience. Candidates should be able to demonstrate experience that includes gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations. Candidates should have relevant experience managing finance (accounting, inventory, budgeting, control and reporting), payroll and employee benefits, legal, insurance, retirement plans, communications and IT for an established organization, preferably one that is in the nonprofit arena. Financial acumen is necessary but alone not sufficient to succeed in this position.
- Mature and proactive, extroverted, with demonstrated experience providing progressive leadership and working as a true business partner to the COO of a small to mid-sized organization.
- Demonstrated success in managing the key areas noted above.
- Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending financial communications, human resources and technology policies and procedures.
- Strong analytical skills and experience interpreting a strategic vision into an operational model.
- A collaborative and flexible leadership style, with a strong service mentality.
- A team player who is committed to lifelong learning and professional development.
- A hands-on manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, service driven environment.
- Excellent communication skills: writing, verbal, presentation and meeting.
- Able to interact appropriately with Club members to resolve concerns while maintaining Club standards and expectations.
- Strong commitment to developing team members.
- Demonstrated commitment to the private club experience with a passion for the Club’s mission, values and vision.
- Ability to interact directly with department managers providing leadership, support and guidance.
Reports to: The General Manager/COO
Value: The compensation for this position will be consistent with benchmarking standards of similarly recognized clubs.
** Do not contact Wilmington Country Club directly, all communication is to be through Dave Wolfenden, CPA, CVA, MS at Wheeler Wolfenden and Dwares, CPAs **